Legumes are a staple of the Mediterranean diet. They are good sources of protein, fibre, iron, B group vitamins and other nutrients that help prevent cancer and heart diseases.
As you already know, beans are a kind of legume and they are low in fat, contain no cholesterol and are a perfect addition to all sorts of dishes including soups and stews.
The creamy white beans and vegetables soup that I have prepared today is a delicious and healthy dish from the Mediterranean diet that we love at home. It is a cold-weather healthy soup full of nutrients & vitamins.
If you try this healthy and delicious vegan and gluten free Mediterranean diet recipe, please let me know, leave a comment and rate it. I would love to know what you come up with.
After the terrorist attacks in Beirut and Paris I can’t help but finish this post expressing my sorrow for both the victims and their families. My thoughts and prayers are with them.
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 Carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 Medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 250g (1 ¾ cups) Organic white beans in water
- 5 Ripe tomatoes, peeled and finely chopped
- 1l (4 cups) Water
- Have the white beans and all the vegetables well washed (in cold water) and prepared as indicated in the ingredients description.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over moderate heat. Add the carrots, the onion and a pinch of salt and cook over a low heat, stirring frequently, for about 2 minutes until only lightly golden. Add then the potatoes and sauté over medium heat for around 3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low. Add the white beans and stir. Cover with cold water and leave to cook, covered with a lid, at a medium-low heat for approximately 20 minutes, stirring from time to time. Add then the finely chopped tomatoes and a teaspoon salt (or salt to taste), stir and leave to cook for 5 more minutes or until the beans are tender.
- Remove from the heat and with the help of a hand mixer (ideally a powerful one of at least 450 watt) mix it all well until perfectly combined. Serve hot accompanied by some slices of toasted country bread.