The Lebanese fattoush salad is a classic of the Lebanese cuisine and one of my favourite salads.
This salad has amongst its ingredients: romaine lettuce, fresh parsley, lamb lettuce (also known as mache lettuce), onion, tomatoes, Lebanese cucumbers, fresh mint leaves, freshly squeezed lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil, radishes, toasted Lebanese bread,…
If you start your meal with a fattoush salad you will be sure to add not only a variety of textures and flavours to your meal but also a large amount of nutritional value.
To name some nutritional properties of the ingredients of the fattoush salad I’ll let you know that “Romain lettuce” is as an excellent source of vitamin K, vitamin A, folate, biotin, vitamin B1 and vitamin C. It is also a very good source of dietary fiber and minerals such as manganese, potassium, copper and iron.
“Parsley” is a rich source of antioxidants (flavonoids) and a great source of vitamin C and vitamin A, as well as an excellent source of folic acid.
“Lamb lettuce (or mache lettuce)” is very rich in vitamin C, it is a good source of vitamin A and vitamin B6, it is also a wonderful source of potassium and copper and it provides almost as much iron as spinach.
And we could continue talking about the great nutritional properties of onions, tomatoes, cucumbers, mint, and the rest of ingredients in the fattoush salad, but I guess you get the overall picture and understand that this salad is highly nutritious and a perfect dish for this time of the year.
If you try this tasty and healthy vegan Mediterranean diet recipe of “Fattoush salad”, please let me know, leave a comment and rate it. I would love to know what you come up with. Enjoy!
- 1 Large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 Teaspoon sumac
- 1 Teaspoon pomegranate molasses
- ½ Large romaine lettuce, thinly chopped
- 1 Small bouquet of fresh parsley, thinly chopped
- 1 Bouquet of lamb lettuce (approx. 150g)
- 3 Medium tomatoes chopped
- 4 Small Lebanese cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 1 Small bouquet of mint leaves (approx. 50g) thinly chopped
- 3 Radishes, thinly sliced
- The juice of one medium lemon, freshly squeezed
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- ½ Lebanese bread toasted in the oven and cut in small pieces
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven at 150°C (300°F). Heat in the preheated oven the ½ Lebanese bread until it gets a bit crunchy, approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Have all the vegetables well washed and prepared as indicated in the ingredients description.
- Add the sliced onions in a large bowl and add ½ teaspoon of sumac, a pinch of salt, a pinch of freshly ground black pepper and a teaspoon of pomegranate molasses and mix it all well. Next add the romaine lettuce, parsley, lamb lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, mint and radishes. Add the freshly squeezed lemon juice and the 2 tablespoons of EVOO and mix well. Add salt and pepper to taste, and at the end add the toasted bread and the remaining ½ teaspoon of sumac on top.