The “Mediterranean pumpkin, feta & mint quiche” recipe that I share with you today is not only a very tasty Mediterranean dish, but also a very nutritious one that is good for your skin, for your eyes… for your overall health!
The ingredients in this recipe are very rich in health benefiting compounds.
- Pumpkin is rich in vitamin A, vitamin C and vitamin E, folates, dietary fiber & minerals like copper, calcium, potassium and phosphorus.
- Carrots are rich in vitamin A, vitamin K, vitamin C, vitamin B8, folate, potassium, pantothenic acid, copper, iron and manganese.
- Eggs are rich in high quality protein along with iron, magnesium, calcium, vitamin D, vitamin B12 and vitamin B6.
- Feta cheese is rich in protein, calcium, vitamin A, vitamin B12 and vitamin B6.
- Mint is rich in vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin B6, iron, calcium and magnesium.
- Garlic is rich in vitamin C, vitamin B6, magnesium, phosphorus and calcium, and it’s also rich in allicin compound that has antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal properties.
Overall, this is a very tasty and nutritious vegetarian recipe from the Mediterranean diet.
If you try this tasty and healthy vegetarian Mediterranean diet recipe of “Pumpkin, feta & mint quiche”, please let me know, leave a comment and rate it. I would love to know what you come up with. Enjoy!
- 75g (2/3 cup) Organic whole-wheat flour
- 75g (2/3 cup) Organic plain flour
- 40ml (1/4 cup) Extra virgin olive oil
- 75ml (1/3 cup) Warm water
- 1 Teaspoons yeast powder
- ½ Teaspoon sea salt
- 1 Small fresh pumpkin, peeled and diced (Once peeled the pumpkin flesh needed is 500g or 2⅓ cups)
- 3 Large carrots (400g), peeled and cut in slices
- 3 Garlic cloves, with skin and left whole
- 3 Organic eggs
- 150g (1 cup) Feta cheese, cut in small cubes
- 1 Tablespoon dried mint
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- ½ Teaspoon sea salt (or salt to taste)
- Fresh mint leaves to decorate
- In a big bowl combine the flour, the salt and the yeast powder. Make a well in the middle and pour into it the olive oil and the warm water. With a silicon spatula bring the flour in from the sides and mix it well with the liquid. Keep mixing until it all starts to come together, and then keep on mixing with your clean hands and knead it until you have a smooth, not sticky, dough.
- Cover the bowl with a cloth and place in a warm place of the house for at least half an hour until the dough has doubled its volume.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and place it in a clean flour-dusted surface. Knead it a bit with your hands and, with the help of a rolling pin (lightly dusted in flour), extend it gradually flattening it out.
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees C (350 degrees F) and lightly grease a pie pan with olive oil. Once you have flattened out the multipurpose olive oil dough, press it into the pie pan and pierce the bottom with holes with the help of a fork.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 10 minutes at 175 degrees C (350 degrees F) and remove from the heat.
- Have all the vegetables well washed and prepared as indicated in the ingredients description.
- Carefully peel the pumpkin and cut it into small cubes (you should use 500g (2⅓ cups) of pumpkin flesh).
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees C (350 degrees F) and on a baking sheet toss together the pumpkin cubes, the sliced carrots and the garlic cloves with 2 tablespoons EVOO. Cover with aluminium foil and roast until the carrots and garlic are both tender and soft for about 15-20 minutes. Remove the carrots and garlic from the baking sheet and allow the pumpkin to cook for 20 more minutes covered with the aluminium foil until it is tender and soft. Remove the pumpkin from the oven and peel the roasted garlic cloves.
- In a large bowl beat the eggs, add one teaspoon sea salt, the roasted pumpkin, the roasted carrots, the roasted peeled garlic cloves and the feta cheese and with the help of a hand mixer (ideally a powerful one of at least 450 watt) or a food processor, mix it all well until combined. Add then one tablespoon dried mint and mix with the help of a spoon.
- Add the content of the bowl over the previously baked olive oil pie crust and bake in the middle of the oven for 30 minutes or until firm at 175 degrees C (350 degrees F).
- Remove from the heat, decorate with fresh mint leaves and serve hot accompanied with a green salad.
I didn’t add any cream to this quiche. I find that the feta cheese already gives the necessary fat and creaminess.