Last week I could not share with you a new recipe because I was in Paris visiting the family. I just came back, but tomorrow I will be travelling again – this time to Beirut – so I take advantage of the little free time I have today to share with you a new healthy and tasty Mediterranean recipe: my “Pointed cabbage & vegetable soup”.
Brassica vegetables (also called cruciferous vegetables), such as cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, kale and similar green leaf vegetables are well known for their disease fighting compounds.
Cabbage has always been credited with many medicinal properties, it is rich in antioxidants, anti-inflammatories compounds, fibre, folates, vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin K, vitamin B6, calcium, magnesium, manganese, …
Given the fact that oxidative stress and chronic inflammation are risks factors for cancer, the antioxidant and anti-inflammatory richness of cabbage in a healthy and balanced diet help to keep you at a lower risk for cancer and other chronic diseases.
As you may already know October was breast cancer awareness month. Many studies reveal that healthy eating play an important role in cutting cancer risk, and particularly following a Mediterranean diet, loading up on fruits, vegetables, nuts and extra virgin olive oil help reduce the risk for cancer.
I have already shared a few recipes on the blog where I use brassica vegetables: “Red cabbage soup”, “Lentil & kale soup”, “Cauliflower & almond soup”, “Mediterranean warm cabbage salad”, “White bean & vegetable soup”, … and today I share with you another tasty and healthy vegan Mediterranean recipe, my Pointed cabbage & vegetable soup. I like to add as a topping some fresh basil pesto sauce, but for a vegan option you could add instead some almond flakes or your favourite nuts for some extra protein.
If you try this tasty and healthy vegan Mediterranean diet recipe of pointed cabbage & vegetable soup please let me know, leave a comment and rate it. I would love to know what you come up with. Enjoy!
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 Pointed cabbage, sliced (approx. 500g) (You could use any green cabbage variety)
- 1 Onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 Garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 2 Medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1l Vegetable stock
- 1 Tablespoon sea salt (or salt to taste)
- Freshly grounded black pepper
- Have all the vegetables well washed and prepared as indicated in the ingredients description.
- Heat the EVOO in a large saucepan over moderate heat. Add the garlic and sauté for about 1 minute until lightly golden. Add then the onion and a pinch of salt and sauté for about 3 minutes until soft. Add then the diced potatoes and 2 tablespoons of the vegetable stock (or water if not available) and sauté for about 10 minutes until the potatoes are cooked. Add then the sliced pointed cabbage and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Cover with the rest of the vegetable stock, add one tablespoon sea salt (or salt to taste), bring to a boil over medium heat and when it has reached a boil remove the saucepan from the heat. With the help of a hand mixer (ideally a powerful one of at least 450 watt) mix it all well until perfectly combined. Serve hot and add some freshly grounded black pepper to taste.